Halloween Horrors are here for your listening delight, tune starting 7PM EDT:
The second annual Transcontinental Terror audio horror streaming extravaganza features:
The Wireless Theatre Company (London, England)
- “Curse of the Wolfman.” Here! Look here, for this haggard man who shuffles along this deserted road, his soul as bare and barren as the moors around him, his tears cutting through his heart like the road slices this open plain. His name is Covell. Covell the Wandering one. Let us fly toward him on the wings of a crow, and circle above him, looking down at his ragged coat, his tattered hat, his worn old boots and bundle, then let us swoop down in to his brain and listen to the wretch’s thoughts! His voice is a low growl, like the distant rumble of thunder…
- “Cask of Amontillado.” Edgar Allan Poe’s short but enigmatic masterpiece. Set in an unnamed Italian City, we hear the story of how Montresor lures Fortunato through the catacombs into the Montresor family vault and there chains him up and bricks him in for eternity. Why he does it we will never know, but he does so with a casual savagery that is truly chilling. “Cask’ was recorded on location in ancient vaults. Every footstep and cough, every brick and every echo are captured and you will never forget hearing the final, faraway declamation: ‘In pace requiescat!’
Electric Vicuna Productions (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- “The Muse of Madness” speaks to the dark recesses of where story comes from. Angus plunges the depths of a lake to discover an ancient urn that holds a primeval god that wishes to remake reality into days of darkness and pain. The Hell that comes from when Angus goes into the shadows of this world of creativity threatens to swallow up the world, and there is only one way to save humanity from his “Muse of Madness.”
- “Faith” explores what it is that underlies belief, what drives human beings to take their beliefs to the farthest regions so that it can overshadow everything else. Ted is a tortured soul who is left with no options and nothing left to believe but a single dark mission, realizing that it will probably end in tragedy and arrest but being driven to do nothing less than follow this course.
FinalRune Productions (Portland, Maine)
- “Intensive Care” (with Aural Stage Studios). It’s late night in a hospital and visiting hours are over. A young patient discovers that he has a mysterious roommate who begins to terrorize him. As our protagonist screams for help, he realizes his is just one of many screams in this demented hospital…
- “Dark Passenger.” Two teenage friends start scaring each other on the drive to a dismal “haunted” house on the coast of Maine. But when their innocent fun starts to become all too real, they soon realize what true terror is. A nod to Stephen King in a tale inspired by a true story too haunting to forget.
Chatterbox Audio Theater (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Live Halloween Broadcast. For the fourth consecutive year, Chatterbox Audio Theater will present an anthology show of short horror stories that are guaranteed to chill your blood! Chatterbox actors, musicians, and sound effects artists gather in the studio to deliver this special performance, which is broadcast LIVE every year over WKNO-FM in Memphis, TN. This year’s show includes four terrifying tales — tales involving demons, werewolves, and things that squirm hungrily in the dark. Not for the faint of heart!
Icebox Radio Theater (International Falls, Minnesota)
- “The Demon.” Four people huddle in a church basement as a violent and somehow unnatural thunderstorm rages outside. As the niceties of organized religion begin to peel away like so much dead skin, the four discover dark places they dared never go before. And — that they are not alone…
The Willamette Radio Workshop (Portland, Oregon)
- “Dracula.” WRW is proud to present a fitting radio tribute for the Halloween Season: a recreation of Orson Welles’s first program for the Mercury Theater on the Air: Dracula!